TEMPO.CO, Jakarta-As many as 1,592 families are still in evacuation area due to flooding in Bandung, West Java. The flood, caused by Citarum River overflowing, has not receded as per Sunday evening, March 13, 2016, said Head of Information Data and Public Relations of National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) Sutopo Purwo Nugroho.
In his written statement, Sunday, March 13, 2016, Sutopo said that the number of flood evacuees are 4,282 people, include 446 toddlers, 38 pregnant women, 20 breastfeeding mothers, 300 elderly people, and 30 sick people. “BPBD [Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency] will upgrade the status to Emergency Response, pending [Bandung] regent’s approval,” he said.
Thousands of evacuees are spread in several locations, namely Warakawuri Building with 328 people, Baleendah sports center with 303 people, Unilon Building with 511 people, Matahari Residence post with 1,500 people, and Mekarsari village post with 1,632 people.
BNPB team had been communicating with Bandung District’s Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) to evacuate residents hit by flood, according to Sutopo. “However, a number of residents remained stay at their houses, at the second floor,” he said.
In addition, Sutopo said, his office has set up three public kitchens, namely in Dayeuhkolot Sub-district which is managed by the Social Departement, in Bojongsoang Sub-district managed by the Indonesian Red Cross (PMI), and at Baleendah Scout Building managed by BPBD of Bandung District and the PMI.
Medium-intensity rainfall still continues and the evacuation is still being done up to this point. “BPBD predicts that the flood has not peaked yet,” Sutopo said.
Floodwaters still inundates a number of regions, include Cieunteung, Babakan Leuwi, Dayeuhkolot, Bojong Asih, Pasawahan, Bojong Citepus, Cigosol, Andir, Parunghalang and Kamasan. “In Bojong Malaka, seven community groups (RW) are still inundated [by floodwaters], whereas some part of Rancamayar are still inundated [by floodwaters],” he said.
ANGELA ANJAR SAWITRI